Two Facts You Should Know About Pearson Test of English



Pearson Test of English (PTE), one of the leading English tests, is often taken by non-native speakers every year. It’s been three months since I took the exam for the second time, but I always find myself thinking about it. My PTE adventure was like an emotional roller-coaster, and in the end, I end up with two valuable lessons. I am sharing them with you because they are vital to consider before you go in. I wish I had known them before I appeared for the exam for the first time.
Secret No.1

The first time I took the exam, I thought that because English is my first language, I will come out with good marks. Unfortunately, I was wrong, and my scores reflected that. Here is the problem: many people believe, “I have good marks in English at school, I speak good English, and I practice with my colleagues all the time! An English proficiency test should be easy for me!” This is a problematic logic because English language tests are not only about English.

There you are, the secret is out! Don’t forget; the PTE exam assesses your ability and skills to function in a completely different English environment, be it a university, training program or a workplace, and to do this you should be skilled at social interaction, critical thinking and problem-solving. My old friend used to say, “It is one thing to speak a language. It is another to be yourself in that language.” I don’t feel truer words have ever been uttered.   
Not only you need to prove your proficiency; you are required to test your skills and strengthen a language that’s not yours.

Secret No. 2

My intentions are not to scare you, but I want to be completely honest; an exam centre is not fun at all. They are stressful environments packed with nervous people, security measures and lots of noise.

I have asserted it before, and I will say this over and over again: most of the students don’t prepare appropriately or adequately for this environment. We are trained to get quiet and comfortable places to study, and PTE centres couldn’t be further from this setting. You must sit for over 3 hours with the deafening sounds and frantically tapping keyboards surrounding you. You cannot eat or drink water during the time, and any excessive movements or stretching you make may put you under suspicion of cheating.

What can you do?

I know you are smart. You can do this, even if it appears discouraging and frustrating. All you need to do is practice and skill building, and all that takes is patience, time and a bit determination! I hope these insights will help you on your exam.

To know more about PTE and study in New Zealand, you can speak to our experts at AECC Global. AECC Global has been offering excellent education consultancy services to those aspiring candidates who want to study abroad.

Speak with our experts today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Documents You Must Have When Applying for an Australian Student Visa

What Makes Australian Education System Unique?

Steps You Need to Follow to Get an Australian Student Visa